October 1, 2017
At the risk of over-sharing, to explain my reduced availability for a few weeks here is a short account of medical complications I am currently dealing with. This also demonstrates that even us “poster girl” patients can’t control everything!
The first complication is my hyperactive thyroid doesn’t want to behave nicely. My current medication is no longer appropriate, due to the risks associated with being on the dose my thyroid seems to crave for long periods of time. So radioactive iodine it is, requiring me to stay away from people for ten days after I take the radioactive dose. I also have to be off my current medication for some days prior: as a result I expect to be a little off colour for a week or two as my thyroid will effectively be running riot.
The second complication, which may or may not be related to the first, is my iron levels have taken a dive. A rather deep dive. I was wondering why I wasn’t getting my usual improvements with my strength training and was feeling tired at the 800 metre mark of my swims: now I know. Investigations are underway to determine if my iron is vanishing into thin air and if so, why. Procedures are scheduled for the end of this month. Iron infusion to tide me over is happening tomorrow! Very excited about that!
As you can see, my autoimmune arthritis is the least of my issues at the moment. One condition can be challenging enough: with co-morbidity, the chances are higher that clear sailing can be disturbed at any time, completely unexpectedly.
I’m still working, but reducing my availability until after these little glitches are resolved. I expect to be back to normal by the end of November. I will update this article periodically during October and November to advise of any changes. If my responses to enquiries during this time are not prompt, those are the reasons.
Wish me luck!
October 5, 2017
The infusion went well (Monday) and I am feeling more energetic already (Thursday). Will be resistance training on Saturday and swimming on Sunday. Clocked up over 8,500 steps today without an issue.
October 12, 2017
Did my first post-infusion strength workout on Tuesday. Was very happy with the results. Definitely have more energy and strength. Did discover getting up off the bench after a bench press is not something my herniated disc likes too much, so after discussions with my physiotherapist (to confirm my suspicions), I have decided my chest press will have to be in the weight machine from now on, at least for a while. I much prefer free weights, but my back is telling me to change, so change I will.
Other than that, the waiting continues for the next step. Slowly creeping towards the end of November, but I am impatient!
October 19, 2017
More news. Now adding a Radiofrequency Facet Joint Denervation to my list of upcoming interventions. The professional assessment of my lumbar spine MRI is the pain in my glutes is likely to be the result of the unhealthy looking facet joints. Not a permanent solution, but should last twelve months, if I’m lucky up to two years. Can be done more than once, if it works. Scheduled for February. Can’t say I know a lot about it at this point, I only found out on Tuesday this week.
This will not prevent my return to normal operations scheduled for then end of November.